| PlantTrees, 10¢ ea, ChangeLives! (Palo Alto) |
A small contribution of your time or dollars to the Trees for the Future charity will go a long way to support the voluntary tree-planting efforts of small farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa. To restore the productivity of their lands, many seek out Trees for the Future for agroforestry expertise and planting materials. Through these local volunteers, Trees for the Future plants over 13 million trees a year for only $0.10 per tree! …Find out how you can help at: trees.org/ways-to-help
These small farmers have the potential, Trees for the Future has the knowledge, and you are the key.
Why support these small farmers through Trees for the Future?
...You will empower impoverished small-farming families to rapidly transition from unsustainable farming techniques to a much more productive Forest Garden system.
...You will enable these families to more richly feed themselves.
...You will permanently increase their income so much that many will be able to send their children to school for the first time.
...You will create fodder to feed their livestock.
...You will show villagers how to get fuel wood from these trees without cutting them down.
...You will empower women and build stronger communities.
...You will give the world a way to end the battle between farms and forests, in a way that revitalizes and improves soil quality.
...You will remove megatons of greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, reverse environmental degradation, and restore biodiversity.
...You will save lives by enabling better income, better education, and stronger communities.
...For photos and more, see: trees.org/why-trees
Learn more at: trees.org
DONATE BOOKS/SUPPORT PA LIBRARY (Palo Alto)
DONATE YOUR BOOKS, CD'S, DVD'S, GAMES, PUZZLES, AND SOFTWARE TO BENEFIT PALO ALTO PUBLIC LIBRARIES!
At our monthly book sales (always the 2nd Saturday and Sunday of every month), Friends of the Palo Alto Library finds new readers/users for your used items and contributes all proceeds to purchase new materials, technology, and furniture for the Palo Alto libraries.
Materials We Accept: Fiction and nonfiction books (adult, teen, children); Textbooks and computer books, Movies (DVDs and VHS); Audiobooks (CD's and cassettes); Magazines and newspapers of exceptional historic value; Music (CD's, cassettes, and records); Games (video games, jigsaw puzzles, board games, card games); other (software, posters, sheet music, pamphlets, framed art, greeting cards, small collectibles).
Sorry, We Cannot Accept: National Geographics, other magazines and newspapers, encyclopedias, Reader's Digest books, Legal statues or codes; Advertising material, and any soiled, water damaged, or partial books. Please, no large boxes - xerox or bankers boxes okay.
General Guideline: If you wouldn't give it a friend, please don't give it to Friends!
1) Please bring ALL donations to: Cubberley Community Center, 4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, Main Book Sale Room (portable bldg. at rear of campus, north entrance, next to tennis courts):
2) Donations hours are: Monday-Saturday 2-4 pm. EXCEPT on the second Saturday of the month during our monthly sales. If you need to bring donations to us outside of these hours, just call 650-213-8755 to be sure that a volunteer is working in the Main Book Sale Room and can receive your donation.
3) Due to our space limitations, we CANNOT ACCEPT donations during our sales (2nd Saturday and Sunday of every month)
4) Please do not leave your donations at any of the Palo Alto City Libraries
5) Pickup of large donations can be arranged. Call 650-308-4933 and leave a message.
Your donations are tax-deductible. Be sure to ask for a receipt.
For more information about Friends of the Palo Alto Library, please visit our website at: www.fopal.org
WISHLIST FRIENDS PA LIBRARY (Palo Alto)
Help FOPAL Trim Administrative Costs and Contribute More $$ to Palo Alto's Libraries!
As a nonprofit organization, FOPAL operates on a slender budget to cover its administrative costs. Here are some much-needed items that would enable us to more efficiently and effectively raise more funds to benefit Palo Alto's five public libraries.
To fulfill our online orders, FOPAL has a constant need for shipping materials, specifically:
Air bags/pillows - YES
Brown paper - YES
Bubble Wrap (all sizes) - YES
Styrofoam blocks and peanuts - NO
Used Bubble Mailers - YES
Small Boxes (Amazon A1, A3, D1 especially; new or gently used) - YES
Larger Amazon Boxes - depends, we take them, we can always recycle.
Amazon single book mailers (cardboard that wraps around one book) - YES
Clear plastic bags - NO
Thin white styro/plastic - NO
Rolls of clear shipping tape = YES
We can also use large sturdy boxes for Amazon FBA shipments. They have to be undamaged and have thick walls though.
Our other needs include:
- Sturdy metal 2 or 3-shelf push carts for moving our heavy, book-filled bankers boxes!
- A Cash-Counting Machine!!
- Computers/laptops -- Intel-based Macs (desktop or laptop) or Pentium 4 or better laptops/notebooks.
- iPads or other tablets
- Gift cards to Costco, office supply companies, OSH, etc.
- Yellow 2B pencils, white erasers, yellow 3X3" post-its, Sharpies, Astrobright paper, pushpins
- White Signicade or other sturdy sandwich boards for sale day signs
- Programmer versed in Python, Perl or similar to write a script to interface with the Amazon API
Let us know if you'd like to donate any of the above items to FOPAL. All contributions are tax-deductible. Learn more about FOPAL at: www.fopal.org